- Free Learn to Row Course @ Porirua Rowing Club
- Starts 9am Sunday, 2 September 2012
- Runs over 3 weeks (Wednesday evenings and Sunday mornings)
If you want to learn Rowing, then this course is for you!
What you will learn
- a basic knowledge of rowing style and boat rigging
- basic navigation rules and harbor etiquette
- an ability to row with a crew in a racing shell
- a clear understanding of personal requirements to make rowing a pleasurable activity.
- a competent knowledge of the rowing stroke including correct terms.
- increased understanding of the impact the individual’s rowing technique on the crew performance.
- a development of crew processes.
During this course the intention is intended that the following topics will be covered, but not necessarily in the order given. Due to the variable nature of the weather mainly the wind, parts of the course may be adapted to suit the needs of the class.
- orientation of the club sheds area & basic terminology
- racing skiff setup & equipment
- safety precautions
- fundamental rowing technique
- development of rowing technique using variety of ergometers
- style correction
- crew rowing
- Participants must be 13 years or over.
- Participants should be able to swim 50 meters and tread water as a safety requirement. If you are not able to meet this requirement you must let the course instructor of each session know so that they can provide you with a buoyancy aid.
Meet at Porirua Rowing Club, at 2 Onepoto Road, Titahi Bay, ready to row at 5:30pm Wednesday and 9.00am Sunday (complete crews are needed before boats can go on the water).
What to bring:
- well-fitting shorts and top (loose clothing may become caught in rigging)
- football socks
- a change of clothes to wear home
- suitable footwear for carrying boats in wet areas
Got a question?
For more information about registering for our free learn to row course please contact Matthew Hall on 027 447 3043 or email firstname.lastname@example.org. In case of illness, heavy rain or very bad weather please contact to reschedule dates.